CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Who is the Daddy?


Nobody was more shocked than I to see the front page of The Sun on Friday morning declaring that Alfie Patten - aged just 13 had become a father.

Not surprisingly this has sparked a huge and fierce political debate over the fact that Britain has the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Western Europe.

Every politician in town has jumped on the wagon throwing their political mud at each other, pointing the finger, delegating the blame.


My worry is that the degree of politics that has now developed will end up masking the facts and creating some sort of resolution, while individuals voice there own political agenda at the expense of society (nothing new there then)!

This morning I tuned into Sky News, and read the ticker along the bottom of my screen which suggested that
another boy - aged 16, has put himself forward as the real father, and is demanding a DNA test. This new revelation has done little to deflate the situation, and indeed my shock, at the fact that there are three children here arguing about the paternity of a baby.

I may be old fashioned in my ways, but why children are indulging, and even thinking about sex at such a young age just makes me want to question the morality of what I would call a 'lost' generation. Why does it seem that a whole generation of the UK seem to think that this sort of behaviour is acceptable, and how long will it be before stories like this become the norm?


The current way of thinking in the UK is to bring sex education into primary schools, but is this just adding fuel to the fire?

I do have a lot more to say on the issue, but it could turn into a 1000 word rant so I will leave it there for now...over to you!

1 comments:

Bubble said...

Just an update!

And the story now continues as a second, (or is that third, I have lost count), boy has stepped up to say that he is the father.

I am thirty years old, and I have never even slept with that many guys. I am starting to think that there is something wrong with me!

 
Clicky Web Analytics