CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, August 24, 2009

Lockerbie Bomber Release


I am starting this post in the hope that you, my readers, will participate in the debate.


Just four days ago Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi was freed from prison after serving just eight years of his twenty seven year prison sentence due to compassionate grounds.


Apparently suffering from terminal cancer, Megrahi was convicted of bombing Pan Am flight 103 in 1988, killing all 270 people on board. If you have seen the footage of this convicted murderer on his return home, I am sure you would agree that Megrahi did not look like a man who was 'extremely ill', he was not frail, fragile, or excessively underweight; which is what I was expecting the dying man to look like.


My main gripe is that prisoners can actually be release due to 'compassionate grounds' at all. This has only served to weaken my belief in the justice system, and personally, I don't think there is room for compassion when we are talking about convicted terrorists and murderers. What about compassion for the people who died?
It was not just the people on that aeroplane who died that day, but a piece of every victims family also died, and has had to cope and live on without their loved one.


I am not an expert in law or on this case, but many do say that Megrahi was not the man who did the deed, and I believe that there is some 'startling' and 'confusing' evidence in existence that can perhaps prove Megrahi innocent.


Now I would like to know what you think; Was Megrahi the Lockerbie bomber? Should he have been released? Is there room in the system for early prison releases due to compassionate grounds?


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is no way this guy should have ever been released. Like you say, he don't look like a dying man. I certainly think there is more to his release than 'compassion'.

 
Clicky Web Analytics